Broken tweed stitch gloves and mitts9:20 AM
I loved the Broken seed stitch fingerless mitts by Maria Kostamovaara from the first moment I saw them, but I'm not a big fan of knitted mittens - let alone fingerless ones. The thing is that when my hands start freezing it's actually my fingers that start freezing first. Fingerless mitts are a crazy idea, as you take out the part that you need most in mittens or gloves. It would make more sense to just knit the fingers and leave out the hand part, but that would be weird. Therefore, I'm a leather gloves person and I've never knitted fingerless mitts before in my life. That's 30+ years of knitting, btw.
But then I started this blog, and started taking pictures outside when it's freezing cold. You can't really operate a camera with gloves on, so I started to see the point in knitting fingerless mitts. And as the idea grew (and it did take some time, I'm not the mitts-knitting type, after all) I always knew which pattern I wanted to use. So here's my first pair of fingerless mitts:
Even before I started knitting my mitts I realized that this pattern would look good with Young Warrior's new hat (this is what we bought for him from Minu väike maailm in Tallinn). I decided to make gloves for him, as I didn't want his fingers to freeze. The funny thing is, that when he saw me knitting the gloves he asked for fingerless ones. Well, you can't always have what you want so I insisted on knitting fingers.
I started with 3,5 mm needles as instructed by Rowan, even if Maria's pattern said 2,5 mm. I usually have to take a bigger size to get my gauge correct, so I thought 3,5 mm would be good. I even bought my first KnitPro cubics for the project. 3,5 mm wasn't working, though, so I went with 2,5 mm and got the gauge that was also suggested by Rowan. I started with the gloves, and after knitting them starting with 44 sts for my 6-year-old I knew that mitts starting with 46 sts would never fit my hand. So my mitts are modified for bigger size, 50 sts and adding some centimeters to length and some rows for the thumb. I also used the same color for all ribbing, but other than that I pretty much followed the pattern. Four balls of yarn would have been enough for a third pair, but I think I'm done with broken tweed stitch gloves for now.
Loving the result - both versions - but my fingers where freezing on our photo shoot day!
Participating in RUMS.